Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Queen for a Day at Children's Hospital

Queen for a Day at Children's Hospital
Monday -  August 8th, 2011




If you have ever been in a hospital you know it is not one of the most enjoyable places to visit or stay, but that is not the case at Children's Hospital in Aurora. When you walk in you are greeted by warm friendly faces and bright cheerful colors all over the walls and floors. The volunteers say that their main purpose is to help children feel like it is not such a scary place to be. People coming and going are mostly children - some being pulled in bright red wagons. Queen for a Day was an event I will never forget! It was such an honor to be there, hopefully making a difference in the lives of some of the families I met. Most of the activities took place in the lobby with arts and crafts, make up and painting nails. Each little princess got a pink sash and tiara, and lots of hugs...  The South Metro Fire Fighters were there with their fire engine out front and fun activities for the boys, with a spinning wheel, and prizes.
One of the most important things I did that day was go with a fire fighter to different floors and visit children in their rooms who couldn't come down to the lobby. I write this with tears... It was overwhelming and I pray for those families I met. Their courage, faith, and perseverance, was  humbling to me. After visiting each floor, another mother came to me crying and asked if I could come see her son, Ezekiel, in ICU. I had permission from the staff to go with her although I couldn't enter the room without a gown, mask and gloves on. She said she wanted us to take pictures and let everyone know her story. Ezekiel was in a coma to stop ongoing seizures he was having along with a collapsed lung, pneumonia and many other complications at the age of 10.  His mom was wearing a "faux hawk" in her hair that day in honor of her son. Please take a moment to pray for this family. They have been through so much...


As Miss Teen Colorado World - this experience really made me think about my job of representing Colorado teens and the organization. It is a responsibility not to be taken lightly or for granted. It is not about a crown and sash, or the style of gown I wear.  It's about what is in your heart and soul. It is about putting others before you, having compassion for people, and serving a community.  I am thankful for learning this these past few months and look forward to my year full of serving others.

If you or a family member would like more information about volunteering at Children's Hospital, please log on to: http://www.childrenscolorado.org/give/volunteer/apply.aspx -  it is a lifetime experience you will never forget!


Much Love -

Victoria Korthuis
Teen Colorado World 2011
xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment